I had an extra morning away from home this week. To go to the doctor.
I don't know exactly what happened, but something made my left knee puff up. And hurt. So I went to see an orthopedic surgeon, and after a series of x-rays was given a diagnosis...
The harsh reality is that I'm getting old. I have arthritis!
Can you believe it? Ouch!
After some discussion the good doctor drained about 50 cc's of fluid from my knee, gave me a cortisone shot, and sent me on my way. BTW 50 cc's + almost 2 ounces!
I did a little research later (while looking for a picture of a puffy knee to post -- way too gross looking), and this is what I found:
Doctors recommend injections of corticosteroids (also commonly known as cortisone) for many arthritis patients. Cortisone is a powerful anti-inflammatory medication that can reduce joint inflammation. Because the medication is injected directly into the joint, the effects of the medication are concentrated on the painful joint. The injected cortisone can bring the inflammation in the joint under better control and decrease the swelling and pain.
These injections involve putting a needle directly into the joint. Through the needle, your doctor can remove excess synovial fluid (the lubricating fluid found in joints) and inject corticosteroid medication to help reduce the inflammation, pain, and swelling.
This process may sound risky. It is actually safe and fast. It involves little or no pain. (Okay, here I beg to differ! DO NOT believe that it doesn't hurt!) And therapeutic injections have important benefits. They deliver the medicine to the exact spot that needs it. They also allow you to use lower and fewer doses of oral steroids, which are highly toxic.
I was told to call if I'm not feeling better in seven to ten days. Here's to another big adventure!
0 comments:
Post a Comment