CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 28, 2008

Thoughts on Thanksgiving

There have been a few occasions when it seemed that with all the panic and preparation, thoughts of gratitude were low on my Thanksgiving list. Unfortunately this year was one of them.

I didn't take time to ponder my blessings before the big day or to write anything down.

Growing up we weren't a family who went around the dinner table taking turns sharing what we were thankful for. I have kept a gratitude journal of sorts though and like to refer to it every once in a while.

Some of the things I'm grateful for are:
my family
a loving husband and happy children
the gospel
a warm home
humor
health and strength
good parents
wonderful friends
faith and forgiveness

I found my thoughts turning to my mom this year; it being our first Thanksgiving without her. And as always I reflected on what a grateful and gracious woman she was.

My mom taught me to be thankful. I remember hearing when I was young how one of the biggest things that attracted my dad to my mom was that she always said "please" and "thank you". Oh how I wanted that.

Gratitude is one of the most important attributes I would like to see develop in my children.

I recently received one of the most touching compliments ever. Someone noticed that Logan and Bergen say thank you -- often. That I have been overheard saying those words and that my example is where they learned them.

Nothing makes me smile like an unprompted expression of thanks. Bergen has started saying please and thank you without being reminded and it fills my heart with joy.

I believe that gratitude is the mark of a great person. It is important to develop a grateful heart. I want to teach my children to be thankful. I want them to see gratitude in me. I want them to remember that the way we make others feel is what they will remember of us. And I want them to be remembered for their gratitude toward others.


Also, Thank You to all those who have shown love and kindness to our family. We know who you are. And your words and actions have not gone unnoticed.

0 comments: