CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Little Miss No Nap!

Bergen has decided that she no longer needs to take a daily nap. I think that's a big decision for an almost two-year-old to make.

I admit that our schedule hasn't been very consistent for the last month or so, but that can't be all of it. I think she's learning.

It seems that any suggestion of a diaper change during the day is an automatic trigger for her to run the other way. She's figured out that there's a certain diaper change sometime in the afternoon where she is placed in her crib afterward. She's just not sure which one it is so she tries to avoid them all.

I think Craig has given up on trying to get her to "rest", as we've started to call it. Maybe he thinks if we just let her wear herself out she'll sleep longer during the night. (Meaning he'll get a little more sleep in the morning.) I disagree. I'm home with her after he leaves for work and I can tell you that letting her wear herself out just makes her (and her mom) cranky!

So I've started trying something new...


Shortly after Craig heads out the door I ask Bergen if she wants to snuggle with me. It has taken some coaxing on occasion, but after we read a few books she usually lays her head on my shoulder without resisting. Sometime later (after I wake up from my own little rest) I put her down on the couch and go about my business.

 
Posted by Picasa

I think it's a win/win situation for now, giving us both a little break in the day. And she isn't napping every day, but a couple of naps a week are better than none. I really hope she keeps it up! Besides, this way I get to watch my little sweetie sleep.

6 comments:

Catherine said...

When Kevin said no nap.. i said fine... welcome to quiet time... the ingredients needed are quiet, him and his room, do whatever youwant i tell him, i usually hand him his favorite books and close the door.. he wants the light on.. cool with me... he wants a drink, sure, but it must be quiet... a half an hour later i have on kid, book in hand asleep.. I love Quiet time! Cranky kids around my house... not a good sign for either of us!

Sarah Harward said...

Addie did the same thing. Every time I'd change her diaper she say 'no, nap!' even first thing in the morning!! Silly kids. Both of my kids stopped taking naps right around 2, and it's a hard adjustment (for me and them) and a harsh reality when you realize how much you count on that 2 hours with one less kid during the day! Good luck!

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

I continued to insist on "quiet time" for several years after my children outgrew their naps. I needed that "down time" in the middle of the day, even if they didn't!

Kerry said...

Oh crum! I think we might be following in that horrible no nap trend. Avery has been fighting her ap lately...I thought it was due to getting her molars, but today she didn't seem bothered by teeth, but stayed in her bed for almost 2 hours yelling and jumping in her bed, instead of napping. And what a fight even gettig her to bed tonight! Yikes! I really hope it is a phase...I am not ready for her to give her nap up!

Nicole said...

ok, this cracked me up. I love the name of this one. It is so funny. I know of what you speak. We are down to naps on Sunday's only at our house. I really miss those days.

Heather S. said...

I think this must be why they call it the terrible twos. Thomas, fortunately, is a good sleeper and napper. *Knock on wood* Unfortunately I cannot always get Andrew to nap also. He's been trying to stay awake during that time period.