CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 22, 2008

"Cannon Balls"

One of the big stressors in my life is making dinner at lunchtime.

Since Craig works 2nd shift we have our family meal in the afternoon. So, it often seems like as soon as breakfast has been cleaned up, it's time to start lunch!

It's not that I don't like to cook either. It's just that Bergen and I will try almost anything. Craig and Logan on the other hand... Well, lets not go there right now, except to say that deciding what to have can be somewhat frustrating at times.

I knew I had some hamburger I wanted to use today, and pretty much knew what I wanted to do with it. (No, I am not a big time meal planner, yet.) I had thought enough about it though to see how it would go over with the guys before getting started. I was also out and about this morning, so while driving home (after Logan requested stopping at McDonald's for lunch) I told him about my plan and asked him what he thought. Of course he wanted chicken. No surprise there!

It was a little after 1:00pm when we got home and the first thing Craig asked was what I had in mind for "dinner". I told him I was planning to make meatloaf. Then he said "with mashed potatoes?" To which I replied that I didn't think we had the right kind of potatoes for mashed. He knowingly picked up on my sly diversion -- I have a new potato love -- and asked if we'd be having crash hot potatoes, which is what I had planned. Well, there weren't enough red potatoes to make making crash hots worthwhile and I did actually have some others, so I went with mashed. And gravy.

While I was preparing things Logan mentioned again that he wasn't thrilled with the meatloaf idea, so I switched it up and made "cannon balls!" (Thanks Tiffany for suggesting baking the meatloaf in muffin tins!)

 

 
Posted by Picasa

Lunch was tasty and fun to eat today! Logan said he'd like tanks with his cannon balls next time, but other than that they were great. This is a meal I'll definitely plan for when I get around to doing that!

4 comments:

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

Yay! A personal mention in the famous Gigi blog!! You made my day (btw, you also got a personal mention in the famous Tiffany blog) VERY smart of you to call them cannon balls!! Now I'm curious as to what you find to fill the "tank" request. (You could use breadsticks as cannons - and explain how much "cooler" those are than tanks, just a thought.) And what are crash hot potatoes? Do tell!

Gigi said...

Crash Hot Potatoes are the most delicious potatoes I've had in a l-o-n-g time Tiffany! So good I could seriously eat them every day right now. They're from The Pioneer Woman Cooks blog. You'll have to type it in yourself because I'm not a link-savvy kind of girl yet.

And if you make them, let me know what you think. Or better yet, call me and I'll come and eat them with you.

The Holdaway's said...

Those potatoes are fabulous - I'm making some tonight... yummm!

Serena said...

I tried hot crash potatoes they were so yummy!!! Tucker even liked them and he doesn't like red potatoes.