Just before I reached to get Bergen from the top bunk after saying prayers on Thursday night, she reared up and came down face first on the foot board.
*She came down on the foot board of the top bunk.
She didn't fall off the bed. Thank goodness!
She hit her mouth and started screaming. All I saw was blood. So I quickly wiped her mouth and wrapped her in a blanket while Logan put on his flip flops. Then we were out the door and on our way to the Emergency Room. I would have gone to Urgent Care, but it was after 8:00pm.
It was awful seeing my baby hysterical and my big boy worried about his little sister. Logan tried to comfort Bergen in the car, but made it clear that he didn't want to go into the hospital with her. I obviously couldn't leave him in the car by himself so talked to him about being brave; which he was.
The ER at the new Clarian Arnett Hospital was amazing. We didn't have to wait to get in and were in a private room with a door (and its own toilet and TV) before we knew it. Two nurses came in right away and after a few questions one was off to get crayons for the kids. The other nurse quickly made us as comfortable as she could -- Bergen clinging to me while I sat on the exam table with her on my lap.
After the nurses were finished a physicians assistant came in. She did her best to look in Bergen's mouth and told me she didn't think her teeth were loose. A doctor came in later and confirmed that Bergen's teeth were alright, but suggested I call our dentist Friday morning.
(These pictures were taken a couple of days after the accident.)
I called the dentists office first thing on Friday, but the doctors were out so I made an appointment for Monday morning.
Bergen did great on Monday. She was nervous to go into the office, but was happy to watch cartoons once we were in the waiting room. After I filled out some paperwork we were ushered into a conference room where Bergen received a Dora toothbrush and some toothpaste. A few questions and the doctor soon arrived.
Again I was amazed. The dentist had me hold Bergen (facing me) on my lap and lean her back so that her head rested on his knees. Then as explained before he got there, he counted her teeth using A B C rather than 1 2 3. Bergen relaxed as Dr. Sammons sang the ABC's and he was able to get a good look in her mouth.
I was happy when he confirmed that there was no damage to her teeth. She had cut the frenulum and there was some damage to her gums though. He said she will probably have some recession above the teeth, but it won't be noticeable since the lip will cover it. She may also have a bit of a fuller top lip, but "who wouldn't want that"? We expect that she will have a sore mouth for a few days, but otherwise she's good.
I took her to get and ice cream come after the visit because she was so good during the whole ordeal. She loved it.
And yes, that is a bruise on Bergen's cheek in the ice cream pictures. She had another incident on Friday.

4 comments:
Kids definitely keep you on your toes huh?.. I'm glad she will be fine and that she was such a big girl through the whole thing!
That would scare me so badly. My girls haven't fallen from the top bunk yet. They've fallen down the ladder and out of the bottom bunk though.
Okay, your family has all of the dental trauma fun! Now I'm going to worry more about Josh and his behavior on the bunk bed. (Bergen's was just an accident - Josh does dumb things on purpose!)
My Eli did the same thing to his upper mouth and teeth two weeks ago..frenulum and all. However Eli fell on the stairs, not off a bunkbed - he has done that though and got stitches on his head at around 2 yrs old. (Oh kids)Glad to hear that Bergen didn't hurt her teeth, my Eli killed a tooth and it is now turning black...yuck.
Post a Comment