CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sick Sick Sick

I am SICKOFIT! Yes, you read that right. Sick of it.
One word.

I am tired of my family being sick. I swear someone has been sick at least every other week since November! And now I'm sick as well.


I took Bergen to the doctor with 103* temperature last week. She'd been coughing and hadn't felt well for a few days, but when she woke up HOT and SHAKING one morning I had to take her in. We left the office with a nebulizer and picked up some antibiotics on the way home. Poor Berg, she has ear and respiratory infections. And a tube came out of one of her ears! Good thing she already had another follow-up appointment scheduled with the ENT next week.

Logan recently woke up with an earache in the middle of the night. It went away. Then he didn't move off of the couch all day Saturday, and I didn't notice that he had a terrible fever until I was ready to go somewhere that afternoon. I felt bad. How could I have been so preoccupied? He hadn't eaten anything and had literally only gotten up to go to the bathroom. So since Craig had to go to work, I stayed home rather than take him to the sitter I had lined up. The Motrin worked for a while, but he was on the couch again all day Sunday too. Needless to say we didn't go to church.

Which brings me to me. I've been feeling tired and run down, but just thought it was because I'm still not getting enough sleep. (My own fault.) Well after a rough Saturday night with the kids, I woke up not well Sunday morning. I had to use my (asthma) inhaler every four hours, on the hour. Something I have never had to do before. I also slept all day. Really. I'd wake and be up for a few minutes, then would go back to bed. (Thanks Craig for taking care of the kids and everything else on Sunday.) I felt bad about not going to church since I was in charge of Sharing Time in Primary, but Leila pulled through for me there. (Thanks Leila! You are the woman!)

When Monday morning rolled around I decided to go to Urgent Care. I don't like to wait it out when I'm sick and don't have a family practitioner for a PCP. And, besides the trouble breathing, my ears really hurt even though I'd used some of Logan's numbing ear drops. After a long wait I saw a doctor who was quick and thorough and diagnosed me with ear, sinus and bronchial infections. Again prescriptions were picked up on the way home.

Craig also took Logan to the doctor on Monday. They were in one side of the building while I was in the other. Fortunately Logan's strep test came back negative and the only things prescribed were lots of popsicles, juice, and ice cream! He's still coughing, but is definitely on the mend. On a side note, I was happy to go to the store for his and "medicine".

Before I move on I have to say that it is like pulling teeth to get Craig to go to the doctor. I've been working on him since we got married and nothing I've done has worked.

Yesterday I broke down and begged. Today he went.

$50. more to Urgent Care and nothing. The doctor didn't seem to think he needed anything more than Allegra, so he came home frustrated as usual. I was also frustrated so called the clinic. I spoke to a nurse and explained Craig's on and off illnesses (with all the details), told her that the rest of us are sick and have received medication, and asked if she would please talk to the doctor (with the additional information I had given her) and ask if anything more could be done for him?

That nurse was really great to listen to my concerns. I can't tell you how happy I was to find a prescription waiting for Craig at the pharmacy when I went to pick up more ear drops for Bergen this afternoon.

I certainly hope this is the end of 'The Saga of the Sick' at the Ream house.

3 comments:

Maren said...

I really hope that's the end of it for you, too! Poor Ream family!

Mindy Dean said...

Get well soon! When we were all sick last week, we made some broth soup with 1 bouillon cube per cup of water, some shaved mushrooms, and some soy sauce. It was so yummy and comforting. When we felt like something heavier, we added spaghetti noodles!

The Holdaway's said...

Good luck with that thought! We've been sick (at least one of us) every week since early November except for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year's (because 2 of us were on antibiotics).