I attended my first day of preschool today. I delivered Logan and was visiting with his teachers for a few minutes before leaving when he walked up and asked them if I could stay. I was a little caught off guard. I had errands to run. But I waited.
After one of Logan's teachers gave him an answer, he came up close to me and said in his happiest voice, "Mom would you like to stay at my preschool today?" And then repeating the exact words of his teacher, "You're welcome to stay if you'd like to!"
Of course I stayed.
I hung back for the first few minutes. Observing. Not wanting to get in the way. I quickly became useful however, and after running an errand for the teachers, was back at school and in the middle of enjoying the exchanging of Valentine's. After that I got to be a helper by filling the kids backpacks with all they were taking home. I got to sit on the floor with Logan in my lap during circle time. And I was offered a snack.
I enjoyed watching Logan in his own environment. After finishing something they were asked to do the kids had a few minutes of free time and he wandered off to find a book. Then he sat down on the floor and invited me to look at it with him. We were about to dive in when it was time to do something else, so I didn't get to see much, but apparently its a book he looks at all the time. It made me happy that he wanted to show it to me.
I never imagined what my saying yes and staying at preschool for a couple of hours could mean to that little boy. My little boy.
I see him changing every day -- getting bigger, becoming more independent. I know there will be times when he doesn't want me around. I went through that with my mom. So thank you Logan, for wanting me to be there. I'm glad you're still little enough to need and want to share things with your mom.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Preschool
Posted by Gigi at 11:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment