CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

You Say Tomato


I've noticed some things over the course of my almost eight and a half years in Indiana. Here are the top three.

First: My hoosband has an accent. It's slight and may not be noticeable to some, but it's there. I picked up on it when we were dating (particularly when he called my niece Aeshley), and I love it!


Second: Different words can have the same meanings. Is it just me or have you noticed this too? I know there are more than I have listed, but I can't think of them at the moment. Can you?

elastics or rubber bands
trash or garbage
sweeper or vacuum
wacky or wonky
kitty corner or catty corner


Third: (And not necessarily related to the way things are said.) All my life I've been told that Utah drivers are bad. So what is up with people who make right turns into the left lane and/or left turns into the right lane -- and honk at you if you dare try to make a turn into the correct lane when you really have the right of way!? Isn't that illegal? (Not the honking, of course.)

There you go; just a few of my astute observations.

5 comments:

beSlightlyAskew said...

It drives me so crazy when people turn - left or right - and then cross lanes. (And they do it everywhere, not just here.) Turn into your lane and then do a lane change. And pay attention to when you have the right of way - or don't. I think there should be some kind of test you have to pass to get a license...

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

I just figured out that Bella has a midwestern accent!! I didn't realize it until you posted about your husband saying Aeshley - When Bella sings Ring Around the Rosies - she says "aeshes" instead of ashes!! How funny is that! I'm glad you posted about it - otherwise I would have thought she had a speech impediment.

Nicole said...

ok, rubber bands, trash, vacuum, wacky OR wonky,kitty corner. We also call it pop not soda. My California relatives always give me a hard time over my "accent". Funny, I never noticed Craig having one. he he he

beSlightlyAskew said...

People calling soda "pop" is on my pet-peeve list. I know it's geographical but I still just don't like the word "pop". Of course the mid-west raised Jason calls it pop and the western raised me calls it soda. I wonder what my kids will call it. I hope soda wins.

Nicole said...

ok, after paying attention to what I actually say, here is a revised statement. catty corner, and wonky. just so you know.