We had a lot of fun picking strawberries last year so decided to make it an annual event. (I also decided to do something with the berries this year. We still have bags of them in the freezer from last year...) We were going to go out on a Saturday a couple of weeks ago, but the weather was bad so we skipped it. Having put it off, it slipped my mind and we wouldn't have made it at all if Logan hadn't reminded me about it on Thursday. So on Friday morning (after swimming lessons) we went out to Pretty Prairie Berry Farm and picked 21 pounds.
The area we were in seemed to have been gone over pretty well so we weren't getting the biggest or the best fruit, which wasn't at all like last year. The kids had a blast though. They ate and ran around to their hearts' content, the ground was wet and they got muddy, and people oohed and aahed over them wherever they went. Those things alone made it well worth going! ha ha
We lasted over an hour before the heat and humidity got to us so we headed back to the car and cleaned the kids up the best we could before driving home. They weren't completely mud covered when we finished with them, but they still had to make the trip in their unders. Logan (ever aware) put his wet swimming suit back on too, but Bergen, in only a diaper, couldn't have been happier! That or she just liked being a mess. You never know.
Things got crazy once we were home and the weekend was already busy, so even though I had planned to make jam and prep things on Friday night, I didn't get to it until Monday morning. Craig was a little worried that the berries were getting mushy, but we were eating them by the handfuls over the weekend so I wasn't too concerned. Besides I wasn't going to let a a little ickiness ruin my big plans.
This was my first attempt at "preserving" and I went the freezer jam route. Here, are some of the fruits of my labors, for your viewing pleasure!
I made some regular and some low sugar jam and boy was it good! What am I saying? It is good. We haven't eaten all of it! Perhaps a few of our neighbors will be getting yummy jars of jam for Christmas. Perhaps not. We might just decide to eat it all ouselves.




4 comments:
yum yum give me sum :) What a fun family thing to do, it really looks like you guys had fun, and boy they were tasty when we came over and sampled them. does this mean we will be getting a jar for c-mas? Maybe Jordan needs a jar for her birthday this weekend :) See you then.
Glad you made it berry picking! The jam looks great!
You've inspired me to go pick some strawberries. Yum!
Gigi!! You're family is so cute. Margot gave me your blog and it's so fun to see how big everyones grown. I need to make it down there some day soon. We just picked strawberries last weekend and I've made jam, had strawberry shortcake, and still have 1/2 a box. It's insane. Check it out on my blog. Miss you!!
http://adamandkathleenmangum.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment