CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 1, 2010

Sewing and Halloween Costumes

Why do I continually think I can sew without a pattern? And when will I learn how to use one?

Bergen has been acting like a "puppy" since her birthday last January. So to be a puppy for Halloween was an obvious choice for her. She settled on what she wanted to be months ago; and I should have gone to work.

I decided to make her costume with material I already had. It was perfect - brown corduroy! Only I procrastinated doing it and she didn't have it to wear to a birthday party last weekend. (Oh well, she made a super cute chef in her apron and hat! Too bad I didn't get a picture of her that day.)

I did finally make her costume. I measured, I cut, and I sewed. It ended up too long in the body, too narrow in the legs, and too wide in the shoulders, but I worked it out with a little unpicking, cutting, and resewing. It's the first time I've ever done sleeves (remember I'm doing this without a pattern) and although the shoulders are still a little wide, I think they'll be fine with a couple of tucks in them. *Yes, I know Halloween is over, but the girl is going to want to wear this thing for as long as she can, so it might as well fit!

Here's Bergen in the final product (without the make-up, gloves, and shoes). I think the collar and tag make the outfit - even if you can't see the tag here. That and the fact that she's happy with it!

Logan's costume was easier. He wanted to be a mad scientist. I wanted to find a lab coat so I didn't have to attempt to sew one. Lucky for me, the Factory Card and Party Outlet had one in his size! We had the glasses so only needed to add test tubes and a clamp, rubber gloves, and white spray paint for his hair to the mix. Imagine that!


I loved his look! Several people commented on his hair (wondering if it was real), and many didn't recognize him. A neighbor even mentioned that she thought he would be a handsome man when he was older. (Way older!)

So (or should that be "sew"), in my opinion we have accomplished another year of Halloween costume success. I love coming up with ideas and seeing them through in my sewing. I'll be sad when I can't do it for Halloween anymore.

And just so I have a record for myself, here are the other costumes I've made:
2004: Logan's first Halloween - Scarecrow.

2005: His second - Mummy.

2006: His third - Cowboy.

2007: Bergen's first - An Ear of Indiana Corn...

and Logan's fourth - Farmer.


Then I went on a bit of a costume sewing hiatus, but not necessarily because I wanted to. ( I had knee surgery in October of 2008 and the kids wanted to dress up in costumes we already had in 2009.) Here are a few that I didn't make:

2008: Bergen's second - Bumble Bee,
and Logan's fifth - Bumblebee.

 
2009: Bergen's third - Tiger,
and Logan's sixth - Indiana Jones.

I love this part of Halloween! And I love these two kids!

3 comments:

Kayli said...

They were so cute! Great job sewing!
I absolutely loved when they were a farmer and corn--Bergen's little face in the corn cob is SOOOOOO cute!!
Also loved Indiana Jones.
I love Halloween.

Nicole said...

I love all the costumes, and I finally figured out the only thing the Indiana Jones costume needed. He needs chest hair painted on his chest. LOL
Hey, you wanna make my kids some cute costumes next year. HA

JaNae said...

Well done sweing without a pattern! You are one amazing mom with two very lucky kids & 1 extremely lucky hoosband. :)