CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 3, 2013

"Keepers of Things"

I have been mulling something over for a while and a discussion my sister and I had over a year ago keeps running though my head.  We are both (and I believe we got this from our mom) "keepers of things" - mostly for sentimental reasons, or because we think we can use them someday, or who knows what . . .

Anyway, something she said has been in the forefront of my mind.

"You don't have to have a thing 
 to have a memory." 
I am ready to move the physical items that are lying around my house to being just that; memories.

Tonight I talked to the Bergen and then Logan about it.  I'm frustrated (and I know Craig feels it worse than I do) with all the "stuff" we have.  And I am officially in purge mode! 

It seems like the laundry is never put away because there's no room for it in the drawers.  There are always dishes in the sink.  Toys are strewn all over the kids rooms.  Towels live on the bathroom floors.  And to be quite honest, I feel like a hoarder lives on my side of the bedroom because things are so piled up on my side of the bed.  (Fabric anyone?)



 


 

So, here's my plan:
We are all (meaning the kids and myself) going to go through our things and get rid of the those we don't use or need.  I would include the word want here, but I know that applying it to this situation would be futile.  (Said in your best Borg voice.)

I've even started going through my drawers and throwing things out.  That's right, I started tonight!

We are going to decide what goes, then take pictures of the important stuff.  I'm going to have those pictures developed and the kids are going to write their thoughts about them in little memory photo albums.  Doesn't that sound like a great plan?!  I hope it works.


0 comments: