CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 4, 2013

I - STEP

UPDATED 3/7/13
UPDATED 3/6/13
 

Logan begins I - STEP testing this week.

Today he took the practice test, but tomorrow it'll be
the real thing.

I remember being stressed out when taking tests in school.  I don't remember the teachers encouraging or preparing us.  I know the teachers at Logan's school have been going over ways the students can do well on the tests and are very encouraging.  They've held a pep rally, given out pencils and candy, sent home flyers with tips about how parents can help their kids be prepared, and more.  The tips are things like getting a good night's sleep, and eating a good breakfast.

The principal even has a drawing going on this week.  Each day the test takers can earn raffle tickets for big prizes.  And I mean BIG prizes.  (The drawing is really supposed to incentivize the kids to 'do their best on the test', but it would contribute to added stress for me.)  Can you imagine winning a DS3, an iPod, an iPad, or an XBOX as a 3rd or 4th grader?  I don't even have one of those.

I've heard it's good to keep things as close to normal at testing time as you can.  But I feel like we've been talking about the I-STEPS a lot and (knowing myself) if I were Logan I'd be a little worried.  Because of this I want to try to help make this a good experience.  It's the first of many important tests for Logan and I want him to feel like it's not a big, scary deal.

So last night we said our family prayer and sent him off to bed to get his good nights sleep.  And today there was a little candy gram waiting for him at the kitchen table.  (He was thrilled!)


I made sure he ate a good breakfast.  He had his usual waffles, plus bacon and eggs, with a glass of milk.

After school I had a small bowl of DUM-DUMS and SMARTIES on the table.  I told Logan and Bergen they can have one each every day this week when they do their homework.  Later I told them about other little "surprises" they'll receive each day.  An idea I came up with late this afternoon.

Again, I don't have good memories of testing, so maybe this is all more for me than for him.  But I don't care.  I've decided it will be fun to do something each day to commemorate this "adventure".  I so want Logan to have a positive experience.  (And yes, I plan to keep up this new tradition.  Bergen will be taking the I-READ soon.)


I put the word I-STEP up on the drawer of the pie safe where it can easily be seen.  Each letter is on a separate piece of paper that is folded at the top so it can be lifted up to reveal the surprise for the day.  Each surprise begins with the corresponding letter.  Today we had ice cream!

This is what I've  come up with so far:
  I - Ice Cream  (Just vanilla with chocolate syrup.) 
*S - Something you've been asking for  (He gets to open a Nerf gun he keeps asking about.) 
*T - Tic-Tacs and a long sleeved t-shirt  (Orange Tic-Tacs and a Ninjago t.) 
*E - Eraser  (Jumbo size.) 
  P - Pizza!

 

To be honest I haven't written all of the surprises out yet.  I'm still deciding on a few.  I also don't want to see my kids sneaking to see what they are...  ha ha!  Sadly,
I know them.

I do know we'll have pizza on Friday night.  I'd like to go to the Pizza Hut buffet, not just get pizza and eat in.  Logan would like that!  I thought about having spaghetti for dinner on Tuesday, but don't think he'll see that as a treat, so I'm still trying to come up with something.   Maybe he'll get a box of Tic-Tacs on Wednesday.  That, or we could have tilapia and tater-tots for dinner.  I doubt it though because he has scouts and we'll be in a hurry.  And everything is turning out to be food-related!  Not exactly what I want my kids to think of as their "go to" when celebrating.

Well there you go.  I'm sure I'll come up with something.  I have all night to dream about it and most of tomorrow to figure it out. No matter the outcome though, I hope this will be a good experience, and lead to a happy memory for Logan.  I sure don't want him to getting all stressed out when he's my age...

1 comments:

JaNae said...

Well done encouraging your children to do well and not be worried or stressed by exams! I'm sure he'll do GREAT.