CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 11, 2009

Week One at WorkOne

My first week at WorkOne has come and gone. And what a week.

Right now I'm being trained on what my comrades fondly call "the front lines". And let me just say that the name fits. I will be one of those people you see when you come in with questions, problems, etc., about anything and everything unemployment!

I'm scared. I'm learning so much my brain can't keep it all straight. I have to remember that it will come - line upon line, and it's going to take a lot of time before I feel comfortable with it. I know I won't have all of the necessary answers for quite some time (it is the government after all), and am grateful for the encouragement I receive from my co-workers daily.

There are currently "new" employees who have been in "training" for over a month. To me, that seems like a long time! I wonder what it will be like and when I will move to the next area of training: helping people on the computers...

It's tough. I feel bad for the people out there who have to come in and see us. Especially those I already recognize. There are people who come into WorkOne every day. Every day!

I'm not complaining. I do like the job. Especially the people I work with; which is nice because the atmosphere can be depressing and the people who come in can be downright mean. The majority of employees I've become associated with are knowledgeable, helpful, complimentary, nice, and friendly. They can also be very colorful.

I am in for a ride!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

My mom worked for WorkOne downtown Indy for years, so I'm sure she could share STORIES. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be great!

Mindy Dean said...

Wow Gigi! I hope your first month of training has come and gone without a hitch. That must be a challenging position. Cheers!