Not long ago Craig did some work for a neighbor a few doors down. Her husband has Alzheimer's and she needed some help. The work he did took a few days and the kids were excited to go with him when he went to do it. I stayed home to do my own work, but did walk over to make sure the kids were behaving, to see how things were going, and to meet Mrs. Dunfey.
I also went to see the MG.
As soon as I walked into the garage Logan was ready to show it to me. It was a red '67 soft top, and being so close to it made me miss my MG.
Mrs. Dunfey was nice enough to tell me a little about her husbands' car. She also told me it would belong to her grandson one day. After talking for a while though, she gave the poster on the wall to me.
It's cool isn't it? I'm hanging it on the wall in my sewing room. It is no longer a poster for the garage! And I know its only a piece of paper, but Mrs. Dunfey's kindness again reminded me...
I loved that car. It was a 1969 MGB GT hatchback. Pale yellow. And I could fill a book with stories about it! Maybe one day I'll share some. For now I'll just remember.
By the way, I drove that car until January 1985 when I left on my mission. After that it never ran again.
Then while I was on my mission there were a couple of months when I was in Spokane that there were two MGB's for sale on a corner near where I lived. I would see them almost every day as I drove by. (Frankly it made it hard to concentrate on the work at hand.) They were both yellow and one was exactly like the car I had left at home. I had mixed feelings the day I drove by and they were no longer there.
I also had mixed feelings upon returning home from my mission to discover that my mom and dad had sold my MG. It was a wise move, although I didn't think so at the time. My parents were truly looking out for me by not having it in the driveway when I got home. They knew that if it was still there, I would never have had a dependable car!
Thanks Dad. I know you know how I felt/feel about that car. I hope you also know how I felt//feel about you.
Happy Labor Day!
0 comments:
Post a Comment