
I was reading a blog tonight and although it's nothing new, I really liked an idea I saw there.
The writer, Kady, picked up and saved any money she found on the ground for one year. Her plan was to add it up on December 31st and let herself spend it on something new that she really wanted. She usually buys second hand. She ended up putting the found change in her son's college savings account. Nice.
I have been saving change for a long time. Who doesn't save change in some way? I have containers to put it in all over the place; in the laundry room, in the car ashtray, in jars... you name it. Recently though, I've been saving quarters. I came up with a plan to save them sometime last fall and I now have almost $40.00. I could have more, but I had to have a Diet Coke one day and used a couple of them at the corner convenience store. Sadly a bit of a habit came from that. A refill is .52 and they will cover the .02, so I only need two quarters to buy said beverage. I may try to stop buying them next month though, because refills are going up!
Anyway, I am going to take this challenge. I might even kick it up a notch. (You gotta love Emeril.)
Here's my version: I'm going to save any money I find (on the ground, in the washer, etc.), as well as the quarters I receive in change when making cash purchases. I might save some of the other change I get back too, I just haven't decided yet. Then I'll keep track of everything and add it up at the end of the year.
That's the big thing for me; keeping track of it rather than spending little bits of it here and there.
I don't know what I'll do with it yet, but I'm giving myself permission to use it however I want to. Ooh, already something to look forward to at the end of the year! Wish me luck.
Saturday, January 19, 2013
The "Found Change Challenge"
Posted by Gigi at 11:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is how we did a christmas jar one year for a secret santa. All of us in the family would put all the change in the house or we received into this jar. The kids would do chores and they would always get extra change, in the jar. Family who would come to stay with us would add to it too. That year we had 121.00 dollars by the second week of December to buy our gifts with. Now it sits on our counter collecting all our extra money. It is amazing how much you can save.
It adds up quickly especially when you don't have to hord quarters for laundry facilities. We've done it and managed to save a bunch over a couple years. It's always fun to take it into the bank or credit union to see just how much you have. Good luck keeping track of it all (and avoiding the temptations to spend any before the year's over).
Post a Comment