CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Tribute and trying times


My mom passed away recently. She was 67 years old and had courageously battled cancer for the last four years. I love and will miss my mom every day for as long as I live, and am truly grateful to have had her in my life for 45 years! Here is a little bit about her:

Judith ReNee Low Andriese was born in Cardston, Alberta, Canada. She immigrated to the United States when she was 7, but returned with her brother to enjoy many summers at the family ranch in Mountain View, where she learned to cook, sew, fish and ride horseback. She remained close to her Canadian family and was proud of her Canadian heritage.

My mom, Judy, graduated from West High School in Salt Lake City with honors. She was a member of the Acapella Choir and sang in the Trio. She was in the Social Dance Club and was a journalist for the school paper. She also graduated from Stephens-Henager Business College, where she became adept at typing and shorthand. Before computers, she could type so fast that the keys on an electric typewriter would often get stuck! (*My mom wanted me to take a type class in junior high. I didn't want to. I took the class, but didn't learn to type correctly. She suggested I take another type class in college. I did, and I still do not type correctly. I was/am a stubborn child.)

My mom met my dad, Lo Andriese, at a church dance when she was 14. She was attracted to him because he was handsome and a good dancer! They became High School sweethearts and were married the February after she graduated. (*I get chills thinking of them dancing together. They were amazing!)

My mom and dad had three children and eight grandchildren and enjoyed 48 wonderful years of marriage together. (*I didn't hear my parents argue until I was in college. That was good and bad. I was really worried when I heard them, but I learned that differences of opinion can be discussed quietly.)

With a kind heart and a thoughtful, loving way, my mom gently encouraged each family member to be curious, seek education and develop our talents. She dearly loved my dad, her children and grandchildren, and was proud of our accomplishments. (*My mom would often brag about us kids, saying "Audrey was the Homecoming Queen, Eric was the Senior Ball King, and Gigi was on the swim team!" I was embarrassed by that because I wasn't chosen as royalty when nominated, but my mom attended every one of my swim meets and I knew she was proud of me for doing something that wasn't just because it was the popular thing to do. She was my biggest cheerleader.)

In her own right, my mom was a fine seamstress, gardener, and ceramist. (*She made Halloween and ballet recital costumes like nobody's business, grew and shared the bounty from a garden that was taller than she was, and had her own pottery wheel and kiln in the backyard.) She had many other interests including reading, camping, swimming and spending time with family and friends. My mom especially enjoyed jazz and classical music. (*Her love of classical music rubbed off on me, the jazz I didn't care for. And although I often made fun of the music my mom was listening to then, I certainly can appreciate Ella Fitzgerald now!)

Throughout her life, music, dancing and singing brought my mom great joy. (*I remember dancing with my mom in every room of the house and singing all the time. She had a beautiful voice. There were many occasions that we didn't hear the doorbell because the music was turned up so loud. People could hear it from down the street and either thought we were crazy, or knew we were having a good time.)

My mom appreciated art in all its forms. And she loved being married to an artist! (*She and my dad were perfect for each other!) She exposed her children to all sorts of artistic experiences: the ballet, the opera, museums, renaissance fairs, etc. She bought an art gallery and custom picture framing business when we kids were all in school full-time and enjoyed her work. My mom was an accomplished corporate career woman, but some of her fondest memories came from operating the gallery, where she taught my sister, brother and me the trade of custom matting and picture framing. (*A skill I am proud to have and share to this day.)

Positive and ever gracious, my mom listened and kept up with all the goings on in the lives of family and friends. She was always thinking of others and they knew it. (*I remember feeling lonely on occasion in my early teens and my mom sitting on the edge of my bed, hugging me while I cried on her shoulder that I had no friends. She was my safe place and became my best friend.)

My mom was generous, fun and had a great sense of humor. She liked British comedy and introduced us to Monty Python and Fawlty Towers. She and my dad taught us how to enjoy ourselves and also raised us to be ladies and a gentleman.

My mom was an inspiration to many. She was filled with faith and was grateful for her blessings, saying often "I've had a happy life and have been well loved." (I do love you Mom.)

1 comments:

Charlotte said...

Wow. What a great woman. I'm sorry for your loss, Gigi.