CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bergen Update


Bergen had tubes put in her ears the beginning of April and she is a different girl! Okay, really, she's the girl she was before her ears started hurting! Yippee! She had been up night after night with on-going ear infections the past few months and I had been getting an average of 3 1/2 to 5 hours of sleep those nights. She is now back to sleeping well and I am a happy, not-so-tired mom.
I am truly grateful for modern medicine.

Here are a few of the observations we've made since having our sweetie back:

1) Bergen is a talker! Imagine that! She was pretty quiet and mellow before her surgery; now she wants to hear herself talk every chance she gets! She is learning quickly and making us laugh a lot. Some of the words she's been saying regularly over the past few weeks are alla (hello) while holding a phone or anything resembling one up to her ear, cat, dog, ish (fish), moo, Jesus, and my favorite gasses (glasses)! Bergen is also a singer and a dancer. (More on that in a later post.)

2) Bergen is a walker! She was trying hard, but wasn't doing very well before her surgery because she had trouble maintaining her equilibrium. We are the parents of a drunken sailor no more! She literally ran to get away from Logan today!

3) Bergen has a temper! I comforted her quite a bit before the surgery because it seemed she was in pain all the time. Now that I know she's not, I don't cater to her every whim. So if she doesn't get her way, Bergen will sit on the floor (usually at your feet) and wail until she decides it's time to stop and go about her business as usual. I was drying my hair after a shower recently and because I didn't pick her up while I had the blow dryer on she sat just outside the bathroom door and screamed until I was finished. Of course I tried to calm her the entire time, but to no avail.

4) Bergen can be a brat! Several times lately I've reached to pick her up only to have her flop backwards just out of my reach. I think maybe it's because I make her reach for me a little instead of scooping her up without her having to make any effort. What's a mom to do?

5) Bergen is compassionate! Whenever I hold her and pat her back, Bergen pats mine too. She will also stroke my arm. She climbs up to snuggle at every opportunity and likes to hum in your ear.

6) Bergen is STILL a joy! She has learned to give hugs and shares them often. She grips your neck and squeezes then releases and squeezes again. She has also started giving kisses. Can a parent ever get enough of that? I don't think so.

5 comments:

Maren said...

Happy Bergen = happy momma. Glad to hear she's doing so much better!

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

I didn't even know she had the surgery! We need to catch up!! Cambria is having tubes put in on Monday - wish us luck!

Kristen said...

Oh, you just described my 17 month old down to the tiniest detail. Makes me feel better!

The Holdaway's said...

Bergen looks so cute in that pic - glad to hear she is "progressing"!

Nicole said...

That little Berg is so gosh darn cute!!!! I am sos glad that she is doing so much better. Her speach sure has jumped since the surgery, and so has her walking, now there will be no stopping her! Good luck